Sunday 21 July 2013

Our first trip abroad!

HKGà Dohaà London







We are in Doha! Transiting for London Heathrow and flying with Qatar Airways! I have heard mixed opinions about this airlines, I have always only flown with direct airlines to London like CX, BA, VS, NZ  you name it. I have to say, I have never felt the journey from HKG to London could take sooo long! 8 hours and we are only half way!


This is definitely a much anticipated trip though there was a bit of a hiccup a month or so ago but oh well, we made it! I have been checking the Qatar Airways website on like a daily basis trying to select the best seats available. I do it so much that even Steph thinks I am getting a bit neurotic! BUT YOU KNOW WHAT!? You can never trust those aircraft seating maps on their website! We chose the last row before the emergency exit for the first leg of our journey and there is a frigging board directly behind our seats pushing it upright, not only were we not able to lean back, we did NOT have a window either! This has never happened to me before even when I flew with poopy China Eastern to Vancouver! WHAT IS THIS? Oh Well, I guess it’s not so much to do with the airline itself (or is it?) it might just be an airbus thing… watch out for these A330s! Thank goodness the old couple sitting in front of us did not lean back (or were they not able to?) during the entire journey.

The general flight experience was okay. Food was good, service okay the only problem was that they don’t really take very good care of the restrooms.. u know… and their inflight entertainment system was not that sophisticated either…. Press the UP arrow to go right? Down arrow to go back to the previous page? WHAT?! ALSO by pressing pause it stops your entire movie and you have to start from the beginning! When am I ever going to finish Water for Elephants?!

I didn’t really sleep much just cus my legs felt a bit funny and I wanted to make sure S was okay and stuff. We are both so tired that I even thought about booking the Oryx Lounge (only 39USD/ head) so that S can at least get some decent sleep/ rest. I am so used to these long distant flights but he isn’t, I do not want him to feel like I tricked him into coming “home” with me and flying with a URHHH airlines. We all know how important sleep is to him LOL.

(right now S is sitting next to me, reading the camera user manual… the camera is bright pink)


Anyways enough of my bitching.. the Doha International Airport is clearly an airport for transiting. I guess this is how Qatar airways works… providing ‘cheaper’ tickets to take people from places in Asia to Europe/ Africa/ ME via Doha.  I feel that everything in this airport is owned by the airlines! There are soo many transitters and there is even a quiet zone for people who have to wait for their connecting flight! There are also people sleeping on the floor.. I guess they must have maxed out on their 3 hours fair usage of the quiet zone and don’t want to pay for the lounge? The only bad thing about this airport is that the internet wifi connection is on the poor side and there are no seats! I see that they have put armrests between seats but this has not stopped people from cross-seat sleeping. Oh Well!
On the upside, we landed just before the sun was coming up so we were able to witness dawn in the desert during the very long journey from the aircraft to the terminal (it literally took 20 mins… poor S he had an emergency but still had to wait that long… teeehe)






One more thing I forgot to add… one can never expect to escape from mainland Chinese no matter where you go. I hear more mandarin than English here and I m not kidding. And I just realized middleeasterners are just as rude as mainlanders. Wtf.

Lots of Lovies,

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment